In yesterday’s post, I discussed how I have discovered that many of the stresses that come from being a teacher and parent are self-imposed. It was a principal that actually pointed this out to me. Yes, as teachers there are expectations given to us….but the reality is, administration knows we cannot meet them ALL 100% of the time. As a mom, my kids will forgive that I cannot be their entire world. In fact, they will appreciate that I help them create a larger circle of support. In short, it’s time to give myself a break.
Now what about today? How do I face today with optimism and faith? Luckily, I do not have to go far to find the answer. There are so many amazing professionals all around us that are so ready to help. Their advice? Remember that we must work on staying motivated DAILY. There is no magic bullet that will push us through and keep us going for years, months or even weeks on end. One of my favorite methods of getting motivated daily is by using the technique many success books describe as re-framing situations.
Here’s how I re-frame my world. I combine working on gratitude with changing my perspective. Yes, I start VERY small and go minute to minute when I have to, it absolutely changes my mood.
- I wake up tired. /I woke UP and my bed is warm and cozy.
- My sinuses are still clogged. / I have medications and techniques to help me make it through the day.
- My hubby is hogging the bathroom./ I have INDOOR PLUMBING.
- My classes are too full!!/ My students LOVE to come to my class.
- There aren’t enough books./ I have access to computers.
- There isn’t enough paper./ I have a projector.
- I feel overwhelmed./ I am EMPLOYED and can help support my family.
It may sound silly, but it is highly effective and will help you get through your day!! So as we say at Sierra — Make it a great day, or not. The choice is yours!!